Vitamin D3 for Immune System & Cancer
There is an epidemic of vitamin D deficiency sweeping across our modern world, and it’s an epidemic of such depth and seriousness that it makes the H1N1 swine flu epidemic look like a case of the sniffles by comparison.
Vitamin D deficiency is not only alarmingly widespread; it’s also a root cause of many other serious diseases such as cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis and heart disease.cardiovascular and autoimmune disorders.”
This new study also documents a clear link between vitamin D deficiency and stored body fat. This supports a theory I’ve espoused here on NaturalNews for many years: That sunshine actually promote body fat loss. Vitamin D may be the hormonal mechanism by which this fat loss phenomenon operates.
Activator for the immune system
Recent research carried out at the University of Copenhagen has revealed that vitamin D activates the immune system by “arming” T cells to fight off infections.
Vitamin D in the bloodstream, T cells become “armed” and begin seeking out invaders that are then destroyed and carried out of the body.
Vitamin D, in other words, acts a bit like the ignition key to your car: The car won’t run unless you turn the key and ignite the engine. Likewise, your immune system won’t function unless it is biochemically activated with vitamin D. If you’re facing the winter flu season in a state of vitamin D deficiency, your immune system is essentially defenceless against seasonal flu. That’s why all the people who get sick are the ones who live indoors, work indoors and exist in a chronic state of vitamin D deficiency.
That’s also why virtually all the people who died from H1N1 were chronically deficient in vitamin D. They had virtually no immune system protection at all and were thus easy targets for the swine flu.
And while vaccine shots have undesirable side effects such as causing severe neurological damage in a small number of vaccine recipients, vitamin D’s only significant “side effect” is that it prevents 77% of all cancers, too. (http://www.naturalnews.com/021892.html)
What’s becoming increasingly clear from all the new research is that vitamin D deficiency may be the common denominator behind our most devastating modern degenerative diseases. Kidney failure patients are almost universally deficient in vitamin D and diabetes patients are usually in the same category. People suffering from cancer almost always demonstrate severe vitamin D deficiency, as do people with osteoporosis and multiple sclerosis.
In fact, vitamin D deficiency may be the root cause behind so many degenerative diseases that correcting this deficiency across the population could very well devastate the for-profit “sick care industry” that dominates western medicine today.
They want you to remain ignorant!
The inescapable truth of the matter is that modern medicine wants people to remain ignorant about the healing effects of vitamin D. The financial survival of the medical industry absolutely depends on it, so the most influential medical organizations systematically downplay the importance of this vitamin while outright refusing to recommend it to patients.
You can’t keep Vitamin D down
But you can’t keep hiding the truth about vitamin D forever: The science is absolutely compelling. It’s irrefutable, actually. These nine things about vitamin D are inarguably true:
#1) The vast majority of the western population is deficient in vitamin D.
#2) Vitamin D deficiencies promote cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, kidney disease, depression, obesity and heart disease, among other health problems.
#3) Vitamin D deficiencies can be corrected with vitamin D supplementation or through sensible sunlight exposure.
#4) Sunscreen products block the production of vitamin D in the skin, causing further vitamin D deficiencies across the population of consumers who use such products.
#5) Correcting widespread vitamin D deficiencies would greatly reduce degenerative disease across the population, thereby saving nations literally trillions of dollars in collective sick-care costs over the next decade.
#6) Vitamin D supplements are extremely affordable. Preventing disease through vitamin D supplementation is a low-cost investment in health that pays off a hundred fold (or more) through health care cost savings.
#7) Vitamin D is extremely safe. There are virtually no negative side effects from deficient people taking vitamin D supplements, even at seemingly high doses such as 4000 – 8000 IU per day (more than ten times the current U.S. RDA).
#8) Vitamin D deficiencies are caused, in large part, by modern society’s indoor lifestyle. People live, work and play indoors under artificial light. This causes severe deficiencies in exposure to natural light (sunlight) through which vitamin D is usually generated.
#9) Vitamin D dramatically reduces susceptibility to infectious disease such as seasonal flu and H1N1. It “activates” the immune system and allows it to function more aggressively in defending against viral invasions.
Better than a vaccine, safer than a drug…
In effect, Vitamin D is a better vaccine than vaccines. It’s a better cancer drug than cancer drugs. It’s a better osteoporosis drug than osteoporosis drugs. Vitamin D is a better treatment for diabetes than diabetes drugs.
You can get it for free. No prescription required. No visit to the doctor. You don’t even need to buy supplements to get this. Just walk outside, under the sun, and initiate your own healing.
That very idea — that patients can cure their own cancers by taking a walk in nature — is the most fearful thing in the world to the cancer and vaccine industries. Big Pharma is horrified at the idea of people becoming nutritionally literate and realizing that vitamin D, all by itself, eliminates the need for potentially hundreds of different medications and vaccines. It activates healing, it defends the body against disease, and it’s the single greatest threat to the profitability of the sick-care industry that dominates medicine today.
While low vitamin D levels were associated with increased risks of cold and flu in ‘healthy’ people, the researchers noted that low levels were linked to even higher risks in people with chronic respiratory disorders, such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and emphysema.
The links were observed in all seasons, said the researchers. For people with a history of asthma, low vitamin D levels were associated with a risk of respiratory tract infection five times more than those with high levels, while the among COPD patients, respiratory infections were twice as common among those with vitamin D deficiency.
“A respiratory infection in someone with otherwise healthy lungs usually causes a few days of relatively mild symptoms,”.
“But respiratory infections in individuals with an underlying lung disease can cause serious attacks of asthma or COPD that may require urgent office visits, emergency department visits or hospitalizations. So the impact of preventing infections in these patients could be very large.”
The researchers said that clinical trials to test vitamin D supplements to boost immunity and fight respiratory infections are being planned.
Vitamin D refers to two biologically inactive precursors – D3, also known as cholecalciferol, and D2, also known as ergocalciferol. The former, produced in the skin on exposure to UVB radiation (290 to 320 nm), is said to be more bioactive.
While our bodies do manufacture vitamin D on exposure to sunshine, the levels in some northern countries are so weak during the winter months that our body makes no vitamin D at all, meaning that dietary supplements and fortified foods are seen by many as the best way to boost intakes of vitamin D.
In adults, it is said vitamin D deficiency may precipitate or exacerbate osteopenia, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, fractures, common cancers, autoimmune diseases, infectious diseases and cardiovascular diseases. There is also some evidence that the vitamin may reduce the incidence of several types of cancer and type-1 diabetes.
However, whereas both steroids and vitamin D can improve athletic performance, steroids are obviously quite dangerous to your health. Vitamin D on the other hand is not only safe, but also vital for literally hundreds, if not thousands of other health conditions.
It is thought that peak athletic performance will likely occur with vitamin D levels of about 50ng/mL. These levels may also protect you from an astonishingly diverse array of other acute and chronic diseases, such as:
Signs of aging
Eczema & Psoriasis
Beware: Tanning Behind Glass Can Worsen Your Vitamin D Deficiency!
Last but not least, it’s also important to realize that sitting by a window, or getting sun exposure while driving your car can be more detrimental than helpful.
This is because your windows screen out the vast majority of UVB’s, which produce vitamin D in your skin, while allowing harmful UVA’s in.
UVA radiation actually destroys vitamin D, which, normally, helps keep your vitamin D levels in balance; it’s one of the protective mechanisms your body has to avoid overdosing on vitamin D when you’re outside.
However, when you’re exposed to sunlight through windows — in your office, your home or your car — you get the UVA but virtually none of the beneficial UVB. This can lead to significant health problems, because in addition to destroying vitamin D3, UVA’s also increase oxidative stress.
It’s the UVA rays, not the vitamin D-producing UVB’s, that are one of the primary culprits behind skin cancer, and are responsible for much of the photo aging of your skin.
After over 20 Years of Deceit, New Evidence that Dermatologists and Sunscreen Makers Are Making Us All Disease Magnets
Bad but widely accepted advice just might be killing you slowly if you buy into wht they say about the dangers of our native sun.
They want you to avoid sunshine… slather on chemical sunscreen if you go outside… stay indoors during peak sun hours… wear long-sleeved shirts and sunglasses even when it’s not sunny… and strive to cut your sun exposure to none.
Abide by these instructions and it could spell disaster for your health. By following their “no safe level of sun exposure” rule, you’ll put yourself at higher risk for deadly cancers, heart disease and more.
It’s time to set the record straight. Real science supports more, not less, sun exposure. If you know how to safely take advantage of the sun, you’ll live a happier, longer life for it. You’ll see how to enjoy the warm, golden, mood-lifting rays of the sun once again.
The True Crisis is a Deficiency of Vitamin D
When the sun’s rays strike your skin, an amazing hormonal reaction begins. Your skin absorbs the light and uses it to make vitamin D3. Think of it as the human version of photosynthesis.
Next your liver and kidneys metabolize the vitamin D3 into an active hormone called 1, 25-dihydroxyvitamin D3. It’s quite a mouthful, but this substance plays an important role in almost every system of your body. For example:
a.. Vitamin D helps build healthy bones. Vitamin D deficiencies contribute to osteoporosis, other bone-weakening conditions, and unhealthy teeth.
b.. Vitamin D helps keep the immune system tuned. Vitamin D deficiencies promote a number of painful autoimmune conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.
c.. Vitamin D helps keep your circulatory system healthy. People with heart disease commonly have a vitamin D deficiency.
d.. Vitamin D helps keep cells healthy. There is a link between higher rates of several deadly cancers and vitamin D deficiency. Sunlight is the best source of vitamin D available. Because of the dire warning about the sun, many doctors recommend you avoid sunlight. This well-meant advice about sun-avoidance is creating an epidemic of vitamin D deficiency.
Twenty percent of children and adults up to age 50 don’t get enough vitamin D every day. After fifty, deficiencies affect as much as 95% of he population.1
Let the Evidence Shine… You Need More Vitamin D
Many studies show that vitamin D provides a myriad of specific health benefits like:
a.. Research reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition correlated widespread vitamin D deficiency with osteoporosis, increased cancer risks, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis and diabetes. Increased, but safe, sun exposure is a way to counteract vitamin D deficiency.2
b.. Studies show that vitamin D reduces the risks of colon cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, and ovarian cancer. Your risk of mortality from each of these deadly cancers falls as your vitamin D levels rise.3
c.. More research shows that adequate vitamin D levels help to control blood pressure levels in patients with high blood pressure. It also helps control blood glucose levels in patients with adult-onset diabetes.4
The most natural and effective way to get adequate vitamin D levels is from sunshine. You want to be sure you get enough sunlight, that you get safe sun exposure, and that you know how to give your vitamin D levels a boost when sun exposure isn’t enough.
Sunshine: Get What You Need to Prevent Deadly Disease
The big concern most people have about sun exposure is skin cancer. The vast majority of skin cancers are basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas. Both of these cancers need attention and you want to avoid them, but they are not deadly cancers.
The third type of skin cancer-melanoma-is very serious and can be deadly. However, safe sun exposure can help protect you against this skin cancer. Research shows that people who get regular sun exposure as part of their jobs are less likely to get melanoma skin cancer than people who work inside all the time.5
So, let me give the rules of safe sun exposure to you in three basic steps.
1. Expose as much of your skin as possible. A swimsuit is perfect. And go without sunglasses.
2. Depending on your pigmentation, go out in the sun for at least 10 to 20 minutes, two or three times a week. If you are fair-skinned, your body can make enough vitamin D in just minutes. If you have darker skin or a deep tan, it will take longer for you to get the vitamin D you need.
3. Do not allow your skin to burn. This is very important. A sunburn will damage your skin, can contribute to all three types of skin cancer and cause aging changes in your skin. You want to get your vitamin D safely… that means getting out of the sun or putting on protective clothing before you burn.
If you live in the southern states, then this is all you need to know to keep your vitamin D levels high year round. However, if you live anywhere north of Georgia, then you need to give your body a vitamin D boost in the winter months. The low angle of the sun during those months prevents the vitamin D synthesis that your body needs.
How to Get Your Vitamin D in the Winter
Between late fall and early spring, if you live in a northern state, there just isn’t enough UV light reaching you to make adequate vitamin D. The government recommended amount of vitamin D every day is 400 IU. Yet research shows that your body will use 3000 IU in a day, as long as it is the natural form of vitamin D, cholecalciferol.6 When you choose a supplement, avoid the manmade form of vitamin D, ergocalciferol.
Short of sunshine, the best natural source of vitamin D is cod liver oil. A single tablespoon of cod liver oil contains 1360 IU of natural vitamin D. In the table below, you can see other sources of natural vitamin D and how they match up to cod liver oil.
Food Source Amount Vitamin D
Cod Liver Oil 1 tablespoon 1360 IU
Make cod liver oil a part of your daily supplement routine each and every winter and make safe sun exposure a habit all year round. Make sure you get a brand that is free of mercury and PCB’s. You can get Dr. Sears’ Label
18 Things You Need to Know About Vitamin D and Cancer
Think twice before applying that sunscreen! Did you know vitamin D deficiency kills more than one million people each year? As more and more people slather on the sunscreen (which is most likely filled with harmful and toxic chemicals), they get less and less of nature’s “sunshine” vitamin, which is synthesized by the skin when exposed to direct sunlight. On the flip side, the risk of being harmed by the sun is minimal. Sufficient vitamin D levels can decrease a woman’s breast cancer risk by 50 percent, and supress tumor growth in colorectal, breast and prostate cancer.
Read on to learn more about the overwhelming evidence between cancer risk and vitamin D deficiency – and what you can do about it.
Author Quotes about Vitamin D and Cancer:
- “Vitamin D suppresses tumor growth and promotes differentiation in colorectal cancer in much the same ways it does in breast and prostate cancer. Normal colon cells have higher vitamin D receptor concentrations than abnormal or cancerous colon cells.”
– James Dowd and Diane Stafford, The Vitamin D Cure
- “The combination of vitamin D and vitamin A slows prostate cancer cell growth in the lab. Clinical research on activated vitamin D and vitamin D-like molecules in humans shows promise. We know that activated vitamin D alone often slows the growth of prostate tumors, and the different concentrations of vitamin D receptors on cancer cells versus normal prostate cells can help to separate cancer cells from normal cells by growth rates.”
– James Dowd and Diane Stafford, The Vitamin D Cure
- “D deficiency that plagues 80 percent of the American population. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with depression, prostate cancer, breast cancer, osteoporosis and almost every other degenerative disorder. ‘The elderly, who spend little time in the sun and use sunscreen agents frequently, may be at risk for vitamin d deficiency,’ according to a statement made by the Mayo Clinic.”
– Andreas Moritz, Cancer Is Not A Disease – It’s a Survival Mechanism
- “Over 42 percent of Americans suffer from vitamin D deficiency, and 47 percent of pregnant women are severely deficient in this important hormone. Their children tend to have weak bones that break easily, even during their childhood years. Many chronic illnesses are due to vitamin D deficiency, including osteoporosis, cancer, and depression. You cannot stop a vitamin D deficiency by taking supplements. Sunlight is the only real remedy. To make sufficient amounts of vitamin D, dark-skinned people need to spend at least two to three times longer in the sun than do Caucasians.”
– Andreas Moritz, The Liver and Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse: An All-Natural, At-Home Flush to Purify and Rejuvenate Your Body
- “Vitamin D may play an anti-cancer role by slowing cell division. Sunshine is the natural source of vitamin D.”
– Dr. Steve Blake, Vitamins and Minerals Demystified
- “Vitamin D is crucial for the immune system and may play a role in cancer prevention as well.”
– Kenneth W Thomas, Ron Gilbert, Gerd Schaller, Side Effects: The Hidden Agenda of the Pharmaceutical Drug Cartel
- “In 2007, Doctor Cedrick Garland and colleagues, using pooled analyses of available research, estimated that maintaining a vitamin D blood level of 55ng/ml could annually prevent 250,000 deaths worldwide, including 60,000 in the USA.” – Marc Sorenson, Solar Power For Optimal Health
- “I even learned that your own body freely generates the best anti-cancer medicine in the world – vitamin D – a nutrient that’s been proven to slash breast cancer risk by an astonishing 50 percent, but only if you get some exposure to natural sunlight or consume vitamin D through fish oils and nutritional supplements.
– Mike Adams, Natural Health Solutions
- “All African Americans have vitamin D deficiency and they consequently have higher rates of cancer. Slathering on sunscreen is not such a good idea. We’ve gone too far with sunscreen because we’re not getting enough vitamin D. This is a ‘coming public health disaster in the US.’ Everyone should get a half hour of sunshine a day.”
– Stacy Malkan, Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry
- “Research shows that vitamin D has a variety of important benefits besides lowering blood sugar. It seems to protect against eighteen different kinds of cancers, has a significant positive impact on the immune system in fighting colds and flus, viruses, and TB, and protects against rickets and osteoporosis.”
– Gabriel Cousens, There Is a Cure for Diabetes: The Tree of Live 21-Day+ Program
- “Those not getting sufficient sunshine to meet their vitamin D needs should take a supplement. Vitamin deficiency is epidemic in America, and it contributes not only to the development of osteoporosis but to increased cancer and heart disease as well.”
– Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Cholesterol Protection for Life, New Expanded Edition
- “On the other hand, lack of sun exposure and subsequent vitamin D deficiency kills more than one million people each year. Comparatively, the risk of being harmed by the sun is minimal. The most dangerous of skin cancers, which is melanoma, usually appears in parts of the skin where the sun does not reach at all, or not reach enough. If you have the opportunity, for optimal protection expose your entire body to the sun, including the private parts.”
– Andreas Moritz, Cancer Is Not A Disease — It’s A Survival Mechanism
- “Now it seems as if every month there is a new study documenting the beneficial effects of sunlight and vitamin D, which, as you know, we get from the sun. For instance, in one of these recent studies, researchers at the Moores Cancer Center at the University of California, San Diego (a very sunny place), concluded that almost 150,000 cases of cancer – particularly colorectal and breast cancer – could be prevented each year by just ten to fifteen minutes a day of exposure to sunlight.”
– Frank Lipman, Mollie Doyle, Spent: Revive: Stop Feeling Spent and Feel Great Again
- “Numerous other studies have supported this research, showing that modest unprotected exposure to sunlight helps the body produce the vitamin D it needs to keep bones healthy and protect against cancer, including skin cancer. Yes, you read that right. Of course, repeated sunburns – especially in childhood and in very fair-skinned people – have been linked to melanoma. But there is no credible scientific evidence that moderate sun exposure causes skin cancer.”
– Frank Lipman, Mollie Doyle, Spent: Revive: Stop Feeling Spent and Feel Great Again
- “A study from Finland also confirmed a connection with a deficiency of vitamin D and prostate cancer. People living in northern hemispheres, where the days are dark most of the winter months, could benefit from taking a vitamin D supplement. Don’t forget about also taking a whole food supplement to get all your daily requirements of all the essential nutrients.”
– Gregory, A. Gore, Defeat Cancer
- “The net result is, that not getting enough sunlight lowers your vitamin D and serotonin levels and thereby increases your risk of cancer and many other illnesses. Also be aware that most cosmetics now contain UV-blocking chemicals. These include face creams, makeup products, moisturizers, lotions and anti-wrinkle creams. If you feel you absolutely need a sunscreen product because you are unable to avoid the direct midday sun, make sure it has mostly natural ingredients in them.”
– Andreas Moritz, Cancer Is Not A Disease — It’s A Survival Mechanism
- “Doses of 1 micro-gram per day of vitamin D have been shown to reduce blood pressure in hypercalcemic patients. Vitamin D may also be effective against cancer. Results of one nineteen-year long study of 1954 Chicago men which showed that an intake of greater than 3.75 micrograms per day of vitamin D was associated with a 50 percent reduction of colorectal cancer.”
– Gary Null, Ph.D., Gary Nulls Ultimate Anti-Aging Program
- “We know that the skin needs vitamin D, which is produced in response to sunshine. We also know that the skin needs vitamin A. But today man’s body has become so degenerated, so filled with mucus, acid toxins, and mineral and vitamin deficiencies that he can’t spend a great amount of time in the sunshine. There are many people who develop all kinds of skin conditions from exposure to the sun and then falsely put the blame on sunshine. The sun pulls out the impurities below the skin – trying to purify you. Skin cancers spring from toxic cells.”
– Patricia Bragg and Paul C. Bragg, The Miracle of Fasting: Proven Throughout History for Physical, Mental & Spiritual Rejuvenation